Shanks & Flanges

John Hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:01:15 -0500

David ilvedson wrote:

> List,
>
> Steinway B, teflon...I will be installing new shanks and
> flanges.  Pro & Cons of Steinway NY parts or Renner parts.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA
> ilvey@jps.net

A few years ago I tried the new $&$ action parts. The bushing felt was
not dense enough and the flanges and bird's eyes had too much play
making accurate spacing impossible. I am not going to make that mistake
again and I only use Renner parts. My rebuilding work dates back to the
early eighties when Renner parts were not readily available. I used the
parts that $&$ made to replace the Teflon parts. They called these new
parts permafree II. I recently reworked one of these actions and have
gained further insight into how the parts hold up. The new shanks and
flanges are now the worst parts in the action. The pining is now very
loose and the wood looks like something has been chewing them. Is it
rely too much to ask to have the highest quality dense bushing felt in
our action parts. How much more does this cost? Couldn't they also
further insure a firm bushing by pinning tight and then use a shrink
solution to achieve final fit? I can only guess that the wood surface
problem comes from using dull tooling. The machine compresses parts more
than cutting. This damages the fibers. Over time with changes in
humidity the fibers come loose from the surface. I could further
speculate that the waxy film found on their Teflon era parts was an
attempt to remedy this hairy problem.

I haven't used $&$ hammers in over 12 years. I do full time rebuilding
and have never felt under any pressure from my clients to use the
manufacturer's parts. The kind of clients I have seem to understand that
it is part of my job to spend their money on replacement parts the I
deem the most suitable, best quality at a reasonable cost.

JH