BREAKING STRINGS

MarKathryn@AOL.COM MarKathryn@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:36:10 EST

I am writing this from the home of a customer where I have  encountered a
problem I can't figure out.  She had a broken string, in the winding, due, I
think, to mouse pee. I ordered two strings, one for the broken one, and the
other for one which looked like it would break soon.

The new string broke before I got it to pitch.  I chalked that up to
stupidity.  The second string also broke before I got it up to pitch.  This I
don't credit to stupdity. I cannot find a burr at the pin on the top, and the
angle of deflection isn't radical. I got it within half a step, then was very
careful about going toward pitch.  I even lubricated the friction point,
trying to be over-cautious.

I measured accurately.  First time I used a snap guage. Today I remeasured
with a micrometer, and got the same readings.

Any wisdom????????????   If the reply is posted to the list, I guess you don't
need my e-mail. It's included in case anyone answers me privately.

Incidentally, the lady asked me, "By the way do you do plumbing?  We called
"JM" plumbing and they want $200 to install a garbage grinder......... " So, I
spent 30 minutes putting the new one, she going after the new tubes etc. and
made a few extra bucks........

les bartlett