Chickering by Baldwin

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:51:15 -0700

List: from Sy Zabrocki

TOPIC: Tuning pins too close to plate.
This week I tuned a new Chickering grand by Baldwin. Somewhere about =
octave five there is a section plate break. The first three tuning pins =
in the third section are so close to the plate the tuning hammer tip =
cannot be inserted over the pin. Fortunately I had a slim wall hammer =
tip extension and was able to tune these three pins. It is obvious the =
tuning pin holes were drilled off to the side instead in the center of =
the plate hole. (No plate bushings).

The piano owner is a wealthy retired fellow. He states to me he was =
proud to purchase a Chickering because it is American made. (He doesn't =
know the keys and action were probably made in Mexico). So I pointed out =
the flaw in his piano and told him had it not been for my slim wall tip =
I could not have tuned these strings. He could see the problem.

My thoughts about the Chickering were negative although it was only a =
4'10".  I believe he would have been better off with almost any Asian =
piano. You would not see such a flaw in any Japanese or Korean piano. =
Some tuner at Baldwin must have noticed this problem and did nothing =
about it.

You can't easily move pins away from the plate. I thought of just just =
bending the pins . . . and then wait for them to break.

Oh well, all in a week's work.

Sy Zabrocki--RPT