instability

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:56:43 -0500

Hi Paul,
  It's amazing what you can find if you look in some of the 'hidden places'
of pianos.
  I work for a dealer who handles half a dozen new brands of piano including
Steinway and Baldwin.

  It's amazing to me what escapes the attention of 'quality control'.
Steinways with loose soundboards and poor bridge notching, Baldwins with
horrible false strings, sagging keybeds and the occasional missing bridge pin
(seriously!), Charles Walters with 'squeaky' actions (esp. the damper
springs), Young Changs with regulations so horrible they barely play...

Sometimes I get really depressed when I think about the stuff being put out,
some of it with good name brands behind.  But then again, if they were
perfect, I guess I'd be looking for work...

Good thread.

Brian T.
Quarryville, Pa.