Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:59:54 EST

baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<< Hi Wim,
              I'm not so sure that this is comparing apples with apples.
 With the concert situation and 15min we are usually just cleaning up a few
 unisons on a concert performing piano that should be well maintained and in
 good condition. The concert pianos that I frequently work on are like old
 friends, and I am in tune to their subtle changes, the few hammers that
 tend to be harsh the few strings that want to hang up ect. For the concert
 I feel faceless at stage left. >>

Roger:

First of all, good luck in KC. The first time I taught a class at a seminar, I
had the same feelings you did.

In regard to the pressure situation, yours is the norm. I got a call from
Symphony Hall one afternoon to tune the piano. The symphony had been on tour
for 2 weeks, and the symphony piano tuner had taken off to parts unknown. No
body remembered to get the piano tuned, or arrange for one, for the Vienna
Choir Boys performance. I got a piano I had never seen or worked on before,
and they wanted the piano at A440, not A442 where the piano usually is. The
concert was at 7:30. They wanted to open the doors at 7. I was told to be
there at 5:30, but the choir rehearsed until 6:30. You can see the picture
develop. The final 10 minutes were with a noisy audience, and me with my head
inside the piano trying to get the thing tuned.

Wim