Damp chaser for loose pins

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:13:35 -0600 (CST)

--------------------------

> So I feel that damp chasers, which maintain 45% humidity,
>won't do a thing for loose pins here in VA.
>
>Anyone have any observations on this?

>Frank Cahill
>Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
>Northern Va

It depends entirely on what the relative humidity, at a given temperature,
and therefor the equilibrium moisture content of the wood is when the pins
(or rather the block %-) ) get too loose. If the pins don't hold at 70
degrees and 30% RH, but do at 70 degrees and 40%, then the Dampp-Chaser will
help, though it's a long way from being a cure. If the pins aren't holding
at 40%, then the Dampp-Chaser won't help at all. If a complete Dampp-Chaser
system had been installed in the piano all along, kept PLUGGED IN, and
reasonably maintained, the pins likely wouldn't be loose in any season of
the year. Dampp-Chasers don't cure anything (sorry Randy, I know that's not
what you meant) they just limit the humidity swings. They can, however,
prevent humidity related damage within limits.

There you go Frank, an observation.

"An observation is an irreversable process"
       -- John Von Neuman --

 Ron