If

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:33:49 -0600

Hi,

The problem as I see it is that there is *no* consensus on what a good
temperament is. The same is true for octave stretching. One tuners *meat*
is anothers poison. Thank you for making my point for me Jim!

You might as well try to define *good* cherry pie as define a *good*
temperament. I HATE cherry pie by the way, so no such animal exists for
me--boils down again to personal taste.

You can say a temperament is *even* or that it *favores* certain intervals.

As to octave stretching I have one client who prefers her piano (a pso btw)
to have the entire bass tuned as 2:1 octaves. She is an excellent musician.
This is just how her piano sounds best to her.

At 11:28 PM 2/21/99 EST, you wrote:

>In a message dated 2/21/99 4:27:19 PM, Don wrote:
>
><<"If unisons are *really* the only thing that matters">>
>
>all wrong except one?? Isn't each of those temperaments a "matter of taste"?
>  Haven't we agreed, more or less, that not all equal temperaments are equal,
>and that not all historical temperaments are historical, and that what works
>best for the person doing the work, and the customer, is what should be used?
>
>but.................here is how I see it...just for discussion sake:
>Good temperament + solid unisons  = good tuning
>Good temperament + shaky unisons = not so good tuning
>Not so good temperament + solid unisons = not so good tuning
>Not so good temperament + shaky unisons = bad tuning
>(all the above are disregarding individual stretch preferences of course)
>

>Jim Bryant (FL)

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/