Damp chaser for loose pins

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:48:37 -0600

Hi,

Ask first why the piano goes out of tune. If the humidity goes from low to
high each year then a dc system will help.

The pins in a grand piano will not be tighter, but it may stave off over
size pins simply because you have removed one *reason* the piano goes out
of tune. My personal belief is that with this *stress* reduction the pins
hold better.

In an upright with a back cover over a long period of time the pins may
tighten a small amount. This effect seems to vary from one piano to
another, however, so make no promises. The least benefit seems to be in
large old Bell uprights. Perhaps one of the other techs has had an
opportunity to see how Bell pianos pin blocks are *different*.

Of course dc systems work much better on uprights atleast for me.

The time frame on an upright for *full* penetration of humidity into the
pin block would be around 1 centimeter per year--the same rate at which the
wood dries out in the first place.

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/