Damp chaser for loose pins

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:15:17 -0500

YouthPage8@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 2/22/99 3:34:29 AM !!!First Boot!!!,
> adkpiano@breathemail.net writes:
>
> << Damp Chaser systems DO NOT 'cure' loose tuning pins !!!!!
>  In some {not all} cases it prolongs the death of the pinblock , and other
>  non-essential bits like the soundboard , action bushings etc etc -  but this
>  is not a cure .
>  New tuning pins {new pinblock & some of the other remedies) cures loose
>  tuning pins .
>  The Very Rev Potter has prescribed - IMHO he's wrong ..
>  VERY WRONG!!!!
>  This is a bit like saying that Max Factor is a cure for sun burn, or that
>  world war III is a cure for unemployment >>
>
> I'm currently enrolled in the Randy Potter school of piano technology... and
> Randy Potter has never stated to me that he believes that the Dampp-Chaser
> will cure loose tuning pins... as an advocate of the dampp chaser I have
> understood that he believes that the Chaser helps regulate pin block
> humidity... but does not cure loose pins.
>
> As you study with Randy... You will find that he doesn't generalize like
> that... Very few things "cure" a problem with so many possible causes and he
> knows that.
>
> Jonathan Hoover

Hi, Jonathan. I took Randy's course in the early 90's. On page 5 of
Chapter 2.12 he says:
"It is my considered opinion that the best way to solve the loose tuning
pin problem is to install a complete Damp-Chaser Humidity System in the
piano. Period."

It is quite possible that he no longer has that statement in the present
course. He is constantly upgrading the information. His temperment
section is not the same as it was then, so I suspect many things have
been changed.  For example, in my course he teaches pin block repair
with expoxy as a fix for loose pins.. Now, he uses CA glue to tighten
pins and never fools with epoxy.

This subject is just something that has been in my head for years. I
just wanted to see if anyone elese out there has used this fix.  My
ususal fix for loose pins is CA glue.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild