Tuning exam question(s)

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:20:20 -0400

Jerry Hunt wrote:
(snip)   (for those of us who tune using primarily thirds) having
> set your A3-A4 octave, once you set the contiguous thirds F3-A3, A3-C#4, F4-A4
> such that there is a 4:5 ratio of beat rates from one interval to the next,
> regardless of the actual beat rates of each octave (which will, of course vary
> from one piano to the next, albeit very small differences), you have compensated
> for the inharmonicity of that piano.

You suggest setting the contiguous thirds.  I assume C#4-F4, rather than
F4-A4, is the third one that will determine the 4/5 ratio.

Some things to consider:

It is possible to set three contiguous thirds with a good octave and a
uniform rate of increase and still have your Fs wrong if your 4/5 ratio
is off.

Do we set the A3-A4 octave permanently to transfer pitch to a workable
temperament octave or can we use contiguous thirds to help determine the
stretch?

Lurkers - feel free to jump in.

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD