Tuning exam question(s)

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:59:16 -0600

Looks like I got a bit hasty. The ladder of 3rds is actually F3-A3,
A3-C#4, C#4-F4, F4-A4. Or, if you've been following Bruce Winn's
articlels in the past two month's Journal, also including A2-C#3,
C#3-F3. Giving a ladder of 6 thirds - I posit that if you achieve a
consistant 4:5 ratio for all 6 - your temperatment should be in pretty
good shape.

Carl Root wrote:
> You suggest setting the contiguous thirds.  I assume C#4-F4, rather than
> F4-A4, is the third one that will determine the 4/5 ratio.
>
> Some things to consider:
>
> It is possible to set three contiguous thirds with a good octave and a
> uniform rate of increase and still have your Fs wrong if your 4/5 ratio
> is off.
>
> Do we set the A3-A4 octave permanently to transfer pitch to a workable
> temperament octave or can we use contiguous thirds to help determine the
> stretch?

How about if you begin with your A3-A4 octave stretched - i.e. tune A4
to fork, tune A3 to A4, test F3-A3 third vs F3-A4 tenth, with the tenth
slightly faster.

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX