Tuning exam question(s)

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:51:30 -0400

Jerry Hunt wrote:
> Looks like I got a bit hasty. The ladder of 3rds is actually F3-A3,
> A3-C#4, C#4-F4, F4-A4. Or, if you've been following Bruce Winn's
> articlels in the past two month's Journal, also including A2-C#3,
> C#3-F3. Giving a ladder of 6 thirds - I posit that if you achieve a
> consistant 4:5 ratio for all 6 - your temperatment should be in pretty
> good shape.

This is what I was getting at.  Dates back to Sanderson's classes in the
early 80's.  Jim Coleman, you get some credit for this, too, right?

If you extend the temperament to two octaves, you can't help but get a
4/5 ratio and the inside octaves will take care of themselves as long as
you get a uniform rate of increase.

So what about the rest of you who use something other than a contiguous
thirds sequence?  Do you think they give you as much information as this
one?

Carl