Learning regulation (renamed)

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:56:22 EST

In a message dated 2/21/99 5:04:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
markbolsius@optusnet.com.au writes:

<< Dave,
 IMHO you should never discount your work in an effort to gain more. You
 should be charging what makes you feel comfortable for what you are doing. I
 know there are mitigating circumstances....local economic situation,
 competitive markets etc, but if you can, just get in there and don't be
 afraid to charge what you know you need to make to help you *enjoy* your
 work....giving your customer good value for money. There is nothing more
 soul-destroying than having to work for less than you deserve, and when that
 happens you tend to work to what you are being paid, if that's less then you
 tend to work at a lower standard.

 I followed some advice from an older tuner some years ago, which was to
 *raise* your prices to increase your work! He was endeavouring to decrease
 his workload by increasing his prices.....logical huh....but no his work
 increased each time!     Go figure. But it works!

 The other thing that I find helps is to be booked up for weeks in advance,
 people suspect that you must be good if you're that busy and will make
 appointments even at higher prices.......I'm sure this has been dealt with
 in the past on the list so I'll leave it there

 Mark Bolsius

 I agree with you 100%, Mark.  I never lower my prices to get another job.  I
stay busy with what I charge so why lower in order to get more work?  There
are exceptions like some school and multiple piano contracts I service.
Referals I discount a one time $5 for the individual referring my service if I
do the job.  I believe my skills are worth what I charge and if a price
shopper calls me, they will always find someone cheaper.  But you get what you
pay for.

I did raise my prices after the 1st of the year and you are right, I have
never lost any work when it happens.  I am still busy as ever, but I do breath
easier after the Chrismas rush.  No holiday discount!

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter