Wurlitzer problem

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:28:41 -0600

Hi, Mr. Coleman,

Thanks for responding to my question. What you have suggested about tilting
the coil sounds like it will work, and I will certainly try it the next time
that I tune a Wurlitzer console. I hope that I can avoid breaking strings in
the future on these Wurlitzers using that technique.

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Jim Coleman, Sr.
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 1999 12:00 AM
To: John M. Formsma
Cc: PianoTech
Subject: Re: Wurlitzer problem

Hi John:

You are to be highly commended for putting your finger exactly on the
cause of the string breakage. A lot of tuner-technicians do not recognize
this cause, but keep breaking strings.

Whenever I see this situation where the Bass strings tend to jump up
over their coils at the pin, I immediately relieve tension only slightly
just enough to be able to tilt the coil so that it is parallel with the
angle of the string as it approaches the tuning pin. This in most all
cases will eliminate the string breakage. As you retighten the string, you
may need to persuade the coil to remain at that tilted angle. The greatest
stress on a string is at the point where it begins to wrap around the
tuning pin. If it is also starting to ride up on a previous coil, this
causes an extra sharp bend in the wire which makes it more likely to break
as you add tension in the tuning process.

I don'tl believe there is a correlation between the string breakage and
the loose bridge pins. Softer maple bridges are the usual cause of loose
bridge pins, expecially when they begin to split out. I have seen pianos
with perfectly good tight pins where the dogleg angle across the bridge
was even greater than on a Wurlitzer. sugar Maple or Beech are the most
successful bridge caps. There is a chemical test to tell if the maple is
really sugar maple. Silver maple is not as dense or strong. Neither is
Southern maple.

Jim Coleman, Sr.