Charles Fredrick Stein

PIANOGUY jkinnear@pianoguy.com
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:33:29 -0500

Dear Mr Turner
In the early history of the piano, a term derived from the diminuitive of
'pianoforte', which, in turn came from the two italian words 'piano' and
'forte', meaning 'hated by children' and 'somthing to play in', pianos were
designed by many, now obscure inventors. These contraptions were
commissioned by many equally obscure patrons, who had litttle or no musical
ability, often demonstrated by their comments to tuners and technicians,
such as 'there's a funny 'pahdoing" when I play Bach. . .  or. . .  of
course I have it tuned regularly, every time there's a new Louis, it gets
tuned. . . . and so on.
All builders had their particular way of doing things and often named their
product after themselves, to distinguish their product from their
competitors.
One of these inventors, the Charles Frederick Stein of your inquiry, found a
system of building pianos which produced a superior instrument. His system
became known, over the years as the . . . . . .

wait for it . . . . . . ..

the     SteinWay

groan

Jim Kinnear, The Pianoguy