Splicing. What's the trick?

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:56:08 -0500

Hi Jim,
    This self professed avid knot tier inserts tricks below. I attended
Jeannie Grassi Class "Add alittle splice to Your Life"  It changed my
life forever.----Thank-you Jennie.

harvey wrote:

> To those who support/endorse string-splicing:
>
> I can splice just fine while practicing in front of the TV. On-site it's a
> different story, especially with bass strings.

Before Jeannies' class, my tiny brain could never figure out which way
to make the second loop after having made one, i.e which way to make the
loop point and which side to cross. (I'd make several until I got one
right always wondering how this idiot managed to get through college)
Even worse, I'd practice and forget by the time I was faced with the
awful reality.
     Here's how I remember now.  Make the points (string ends) point in
opposite directions but crossing over on the same side of the string
WHEN THE TWO LOOPS ARE HELD UP LIKE HEADS ON TOP OF THE WIRE!!

 If I remove wrap, the
> resulting sound indicates I could have just as easily used a universal.

I haven't gone so far as to remove wrap as i worry about creating a
buzz. (perhaps not such an avid knot tier).

> If
> I don't, the splice ends up getting in the way of upper plate pins
> (upright). In any case, there's always the guessing factor... how much is
> the new stub length going to stretch;

  Pre-stretching the knot outside of the piano helps and don't waste any
space.  Pre-stretch a treble string, Using two vice pliers attached to
the string on both sides of the knot with a dowel or other object stuck
between them.  The pliers are squeezed together pivoting on the dowel
(or whatever) pulling the knot tight.
    The sheet bend type works best where alittle stub of wire comes
through an agraff.  Make a loop on the stub with the point aiming
treblewards and crossing on top.  Bend the loop up about 35 degrees.
Take the other piece and don't complete the loop.  Bend the end down
when the tail is on the treble side with stem facing up.  At this point,
even this brain can actually figure the rest.  Easier done than said.
-Mike Jorgensen