Wurlitzer problem

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:56:25 -0600

John M. Formsma writes: ......From what I surmise with my limited =
technical knowledge, there is too much of an angle from where the string =
leaves the tuning pin to where the strings pass over the plate, which =
"forces" the string to slightly wind itself over the coil.....

Ralph Stillwell, a member of our chapter had an extreme case of this =
problem on a upright piano with an open pin block. He removed the bass =
tunning pins, drilled the tunning pin holes, slightly under sise, clear =
through so the hole came out the back of the piano, glued a piece of =
maple to the front of the bass pin block area, and drilled the tunning =
pin holes through this cap from the back. He then replaced the pins in =
the new "thicker" pin block. This greatly reduced the angle between the =
tunning pins and the string. Finally he glued a piece of veneer on the =
back of the piano to cover the holes that came through the back side. He =
said it solved the problem. When I called Ralph to get his permission to =
submit this he said he thought hardwood plywood would be better than the =
maple he used if you could find it.

John Dewey