Single String Format

Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:52:31 -0600

Chris,
At 10:55 2/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
und Newtone writ:
>>When I was at Bosendorfer in '77 they made the coils by hand.  They
>>then bend it back to the nail and bent round the extra end back and
>>forth until it broke off leaving a nice coil with the tail pointed
>>back and down so it bedded itself in the hitch pin punching.  I never
>>did master doing it that way.

>newton,
>... could you elaborate on their
>method of breaking the string.  that sounds impossible!

Sounds like the normal method of breaking off the tail of a harpsichord
string, but I too never had that great luck with the thicker and stiffer
piano stuff.

When putting a German knot on a single string I use an old tuning pin with
a screw mounted 7mm below the becket hole. I used an old damper head screw
- nice big head which holds the wire real well.

I slip it on the end of the wire, (screw toward end) then form the loop
(270°) with round jaw pliers. (above or below depending on whether I want
left or right coil and tail) Then, with loop still held by pliers, all I
have to do is twirl the tuning pin with the tail caught beneath the
screwhead. Number of turns and direction the tail winds up are easily
controlled.  Then I cut off the excess tail.  Put string on the hitchpin
and cut to approximate length and you get your tuning pin back...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

The best things in life aren't things.