Kawai damper tray blocks and flanges

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:01:46 -0800

Avery,

To change the blocks and flanges, do the following:

1. Raise the upstop rails all the way.
2. Remove the sostenuto rod
3. Drop the pedal rod out of the pedal so that everything drops down and you
can remove the pitman dowel
4. Mark the location of the damper flange rail on the cross block
5. Remove the screws which hold the flange rail to the cross block.
6. Lift up on the damper tray to raise the dampers off the strings, then
carefully pull the entire damper action out towards you.
7. Use a long screwdriver between the strings to remove the damper tray
block screws from the tray.
8. Remove the block flanges from the flange rail
9. Repair the block / flange etc.
10. Reassemble in reverse order.

The entire job usually takes 15 to 20 minutes, and it is not necessary to
disconnect the damper wires.  Kawai has a technical service bulletin which
describes and illustrates this job.

Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America