how far?

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:54:03 -0500

It depends on what your defenition of 'stable' is.

On a new piano; were the strings seated properly, were the
coils and beckets tight, was the natural curve of the wire
attended to?  Environmental conditions and playing style
are also attributable to stability.

In general a change of pitch more than 4cps is not stable.
Even a change of this amount is tenuous. This is where the
phrase ' good enough' comes into play.  For concert work,
a change of 2cps is a reason for a second pass.

Regards,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)