5-minute pitchraise

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:25:28 EST

In a message dated 2/26/99 7:08:22 PM Central Standard Time, cedel@redrose.net
writes:

<< Friends:

 When I first heard of this feat, it was a fine tuning in four minutes.
 I reckon the version printed here is closer to the truth.  So can we
 have a volunteer show us at Kansas City how to do even a 9-minute
 pitchraise?  That's about 1 string every 2.5 seconds.  I sure _I_ would
 learn something.  Somebody?  Anybody?!  Please?

 Clyde Hollinger >>

I learned how to do this 20 years ago from Jim Coleman and George Defebaugh.
It took a few years to build up to the 10-15 minute pitch raise but it has
been my usual practice for well over 15 years.  It doesn't make me sweat
unless it's very hot already.  It seems completely naturel.

You just keep your eye on the *next* tuning pin you will be tuning.  With a
piano that has normal tuning pin torque and that needs 25¢ or less of a pitch
raise, you can often hit your mark with one stroke of the tuning hammer (using
an impact type technique).

After such a pitch raise tuning, the piano can easily be fine tuned in 30
minutes or less.  This is how I do stable, fine tunings in 45 minutes or less,
day in, day out, 4-6 times per day (and sometimes more) at the full going rate
and make a good middle class living.  It is the other kinds of services,
cleaning, tightening screws, alignment, voicing and regulation that take extra
time and prolong an appointment.

You can make extra money on these, of course but where you really end up
spending time for no income is the putting together and taking apart of
unusual pianos, talking to the customer, taking off and putting on your shoes
(boots) and other side matters.  It is amazing how just getting set up for and
leaving a job can take as long or longer than the job for which you are being
paid.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin