Single String Format

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 09:53:52 -0600 (CST)

>One very important factor is that all unwound strings in each note are
>of equal length, which provides for better tuning stability of the
>unisons when humidity changes take place.
>
>Al Jeschke
>Calgary, AB

You would be talking about overall length between hitch pin and tuning pin
here, right? How often have you seen a piano where this was the case. It's
not physically possible at all in a standard three hitch pin to two unison
with no ties sort of arrangement. In pianos with individually wound strings,
the hitch pin pattern would have to match that of the tuning pins (fore/aft
offset), even on the bass riser, to make this work. That is, if you included
the wrapped strings too... and why not? I haven't seen everything out there,
nor specifically checked for this. Is any manufacturer actually doing this?
Most of my customers get the piano tuned because of the pitch change in the
low tenor, not the unisons, and not a heck of a lot of them own B'Dorfs.

 Ron