5-minute pitchraise

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:45:56 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 1999 9:25 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: 5-minute pitchraise

<<<I learned how to do this 20 years ago from Jim Coleman and George
Defebaugh.
It took a few years to build up to the 10-15 minute pitch raise but it has
been my usual practice for well over 15 years.  It doesn't make me sweat
unless it's very hot already.  It seems completely naturel.

You just keep your eye on the *next* tuning pin you will be tuning.  With a
piano that has normal tuning pin torque and that needs 25¢ or less of a
pitch
raise, you can often hit your mark with one stroke of the tuning hammer
(using
an impact type technique).>>>

This is intriguing to me.  Do you use rubber mutes doing this?  I have
noticed on some pianos that are significantly flat that the SAT will "hear"
one string being raised to pitch even if the others are not muted, and that
with a little practice, it is possible to aurally tune the other strings
fairly close without having to use mutes.  I never have been able to raise
pitch as quickly as you, though.  Guess that comes with much practice.

John Formsma