wire curve

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:53:15 -0500

Ron,
If this is in reference to my previous posting which mentioned 'natural curve'
I was referring to the curve in the wire once it is up to tension and curving
at bearing points. 'Attending to this' is tapping wire at the rear duplex to
sharpen the bend, also at the bridge pins, capo - both sides, and the counter
bearing bar.

The natural curve I think you are referring to is the result of being removed
from
the roll/coil. My approach to this curve is to measure the entire string
length.
By this I mean, while stringing I have a section of wire extending beyond the
t-pin
to allow for the coils and extending it to the hitch pin. The h/p location is
held
between two fingers and then held up & doubled back, the wire is then cut at
the
location where the starting point of the wire meets. With my fingers still
holding
the h/p location I make the bend on a nail which is set into a board and
clamped
onto the keybed. The bend is made with the wire curved upwards and the bend
made at 90 degree to this causing the loop to curve upwards.

To relieve the stress wanting the wire to jump off the h\p, I bend it slightly
downwards;
straightening it out somewhat. The wire is installed and this way both sides
are cut
the same lengths from their respective pins and the pins are coiled 90 degrees
the pin block. I get no twisting this way.

This procedure is described in the Becket Tool information, this tool is
simply
measuring gage to cut the wire uniformly (info and jpg sent on request - info
contains
details for making gage).

Regards,

Jon Page