wire curve

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:35:04 -0600 (CST)

Jim, Sr.,
At 13:04 2/27/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Here's another one. Has anbody ever deliberately put a kink in a plain
>wire to discover how much wild string effect this has? I have serious doubts
>about this one too.

I haven't deliberately done it, but when I got here an S&S D had a _very_
prominent beat at A5(61) when playing F2(21). After thorough checking for
sympathetic ringing, damper problems and voicing/hammer problems, etc. I
restrung the unison. (actually 2/3rds of it)

There was a good kink in the old wire which was hidden by the bass strings.
After new string was installed - no beating harmonic.

Anecdotal to kink causing wild strings, for sure, but I think I eliminated
every other variable.

Conrad Hoffsommer     mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

This has been a test of the e-mail communication system.  Had there been a
real message, some information would have been transferred.  I now return
you to your regularly scheduled messages.