Heintzman grand scale

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:24:11 -0500 (CDT)

List,

I have a question regarding a Heintzman 6'1" grand (is this a model 'D'?)
that I am restringing with new pinblock.  This piano has obviously been
restrung with a replacement pinblock at some point in its life (and now
still had loose 6/0 pins in it!) and the stringing scale is rather
peculiar.  We hadn't budgeted for rescaling and were hoping that someone
might have record of the original scale for this model (serial no. 43295).
The string gauges as we read them are as follows:

Note No:  26 - 31  =  17.5  (6 unisons)
Note No:  32 - 49  =  16.5  (18 unisons)
Note No:  50 - 63  =  16    (14 unisons)
Note No:  64 - 74  =  14    (11 unisons - one tied string)
Note No:  75 - 80  =  15    (6 unisons)
Note No:  81 - 88  =  14    (8 unisons)

Total:  63 unisons

There is a scale for a Heintzman 'D' in John Travis', "A Guide To
Restringing", but it is an 82000 serial no. with only 60 unisons.

Best regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician

Kroeker & Sons Piano Experts