Second guessing methanol

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:33:41 EDT

Greetings all,
    I was asked to deal with a chronic problem on a 1998 Steinway L.
"Sticking keys".
    The cause was excessively tight hammer flange centers.  Being a
warranty-eligible problem, I wanted to stay within their recommendation, so I
called and was told to put one drop of methanol on each center and leave
totally untouched for 24 hours.   I did, and the hammers are once again
swinging as they should.
    Now,  I KNOW that if I had repinned this hammerline, I would have had no
further problems, (at least so far imhe).  However,  the ease of the liquid
diet has a lot going for it, and if the result is equally durable, it is a
no-brainer.  There were two prior visits by the dealer's techs, so it is
possible that the methanol was already tried, and if so, I will be repinning
this thing later.
    Who on the list has experience of using this straight methanol on the new
Steinway's pinning?
Thanks,
Ed Foote
(and I always wondered what they denatured alcohol with,  it is this stuff!
poison!)