Piano 'detuning'

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 00:17:33 -0500

When I worked for a rental agency, they got a call for a de-tuned piano.  Seems a
producer wanted it to sound like a wild west bar room piano. To be used in a coffee
comercial.  We weren't sure if he wanted the "rinky dink" sound (the player piano
attachment)  (mimics thumb tacks in the hammers) of if a de-tuned piano would do.
I detuned some unisions,  (one string is enough) got him on the telephone, played
two chords and he said that was exactly what he had in mind.  To this day every time
I see a coffee comercial on TV I listen for a detuned piano.        ric