Piano 'detuning'

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 06:54:38 -0700

On the few occasions when the customer expresses disappointment at
hearing a piano in tune, and skepticism at the ability of the tuner, a
look of condolence comes over my face and I say, "Oh, dear.  It sounds
like you have at least partially impaired your abilitiy to hear standard
pitch.  This is the result of listening to a seriously out-of-tune piano
for many years.  Fortunately, this is reversible, but you will have to
let your ear re-adapt to the new sound, and keep your piano in tune."
For skeptics, I ask them to check with their piano teacher or church
organist.  Works like a charm.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA