More on Noah's Ark

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:57:09 -0500

In addition to my previous post I have now had a chance to
watch the evening news and learn the full scope of the
problem.  The storm that hit us is being called the worst in
at least twenty years. The annual rain fall for Las Vegas is
about 4 inches.  Today we received about three inches in a
couple hours.  There is serious flooding throughout the
valley and the governor has been called in to declare
disaster areas.  Major streets and a large portion of the 95
freeway have been closed.  Numerous businesses and homes
have been flooded or completely destroyed.  There has also
been some damage down town.  The shopping center portion of
Caesar's Palace was flooded.  There are two fatalities
blamed on the storm.  Interesting that I should be the new
kid in town and all this hits now!

I met up with a couple of pianos movers today who told me
that they got an emergency call to remove a Steinway from a
flooding house.  When they got there it was half submerged!!

To learn more here is the CNN web page on this story.

http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER/9907/09/vegas.flood.01/index.html

Hey, come visit Las Vegas this summer!
Don't worry folks, we'll get it together again.  This is
Vegas-- anything is possible.

Rob Goodale, RPT
University of Nevada, Las Vegas