Baldwin Action Problem

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 23:24:51 -0400 (EDT)

>Dear List:
>    I have a problem with some Baldwin large upright pianos that are
>new.  The type of action brackets Baldwin uses are secured with bolts
>into the plate.  When I remove the screws to service the action, I can't
>get the screws back into their holes.  The action bracket hole is about
>1/8" too high.  Should I lower the support studs (they are adjustable up
>and down) or will I make more problems for myself?  I tried lowering the
>studs, and now all the capstans need readjustment.  Is there a better
>way to get those screws back in?  I'll be returning to the piano Monday
>afternoon.  Thanks for any input.
>    Paul McCloud
>    San Diego

paul,

this is, unfortunately, common with baldwin verticals.  the action bracket
is always under tension and if you lower the studs you goof up the
regulation big time.  usually by putting a large screwdriver on top of the
action bracket and pushing down very hard you can start the bolt by hand.
just be careful not to cross thread it.  occasionally you just can't and
have to lower the stud.  in this case just count how many turns you give
the stud and then when you get the bolt tight, turn the stud back to
exactly the same place.  if you have already moved the studs and don't know
how many turns you gave it, try replacing the action and then raising the
studs until the lost motion is correct.  be careful though, i imagine it is
possible to break an action bracket and then your fubar.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429