Thanks (was Regulating Woes)

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:35:16 -0600

Hi Terry,
              A couple of other tips to make this action feel more consistent.
Since you have moved the capstans, remove the action and install in an
action cradle, turn up side down, take a damp cloth and steam iron the wip
cloth, it will pop out the capstan cups. Now dry iron the cloth firmly, you
will end up with a nicely contoured wip cloth surface.
Reinstall action.
Regulate and set the dip and after touch on the top and bottom natural keys
in each section. Tie a piece of thread around the bottom and top natural
capstans, about a 1/4" below the contact point, align all capstans to the
thread, you will end up with a suprisingly even regulation for a golden oldie.
Surprising the results when the capstan does'nt have to climb out of a pit.
Let us know what you think.
Roger

At 05:51 PM 17/07/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>A big thank you to all who replied to my query regarding regulating. It
>appears that Jim Coleman SR. and Roger Jolly hit upon the right solution. By
>moving the dowel capstans back a couple of millimeters I was able to get
>enough escapement.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Regards
>
>Terry Beckingham