Regulating Woes

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:35:47 -0400

> One thing I was wondering about. I replaced the whippen cushion. If the new
> material was slightly thinner than the original stuff, then the capstan
> would have to be raised and would no longer be on a line between the balance
> rail pin and the whippen center pin. Perhaps that has caused the increase in
> weight.

I thought about that but discounted is being inconsequential compared
to moving the capstan location.

The real issue is the balance weight.

The spring tension is critical but adjusting it would be difficult.
To do so I would weight out heavy without the springs then engage the
spring and adjust tension to get the balance weight desired.

I don't think I would bother doing much of anything with the friction
unless it gets well outside the desirable range.

This is a learning experience so do the best you can and learn from
the experience.

Get back to work!!

		Newton