Removing grand backcheck wires from keys

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:46:17 -0600

Newton, thanks for the reply.
I agree that this old instrument is hardly worth the time or effort, but
it is all this gal has.  Don't get me wrong about it - I let her know up
front what anything I do will cost her BEFORE I do it and get her
approval prior to "surgery".
Being an upright the holes for the backchecks do go entirely through the
wippens and I don't see much of a problem with driving out the little
piece that remains in the wood using a backup as you have suggested.
HOWEVER, I do see a problem with driving a small diameter, but much
longer backcheck wire back into the hole especially if it is a tight fit.
 ( I have never been a good carpenter) :-))
  Once again I am open to suggestions as to how to do this in the field.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.