need advice/rant-new piano problems/location of good pianotuning schools

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 07:24:01 -0500

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> <<"You bought it, you deserve to get what you paid for.">>
>
> Rob............maybe they did?  Having decided years ago to not try to
> compete with School System bidding, I can sympathize with both sides.
> From the Schools point of view They want/need to get the best instrument for
> the lowest possible price and don't mind squeezing a dealer for all the
> goodie they can get.

Having done a lot of work with public schools in the past I understand that their
budget is pretty limited for piano service.  Quite honestly they pay so little
that I don't care to ever get involved with school tunings again.  In this case,
however, a new piano from the dealer should *work* like a new piano from the
dealer, e.g. be reasonably regulated and playable.  Mind it is a Young Chang, but
in this case I don't think lesser quality the issue. A new piano shouldn't have
bobbling hammers.  Is the customer expected to purchase a new piano and then turn
around and pay to have it properly regulated too?  Not where I come from.
Whatever the piano, it needs to be regulated well enough that it plays correctly
prior to delivery.  My opinion.

Rob Goodale, RPT