Uniform backcheck heigth

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:44:45 -0400

OK, John, the wires have a mark where the blocks originally resided.
Place your thumb nail on that line and turn them until they touch your
nail.  After they are all replaced and the action is in the piano you
can go along and trun a few down a turn or two or up as needed to get
a nice line.

Do NOT put the vise grips at the mark.  The drill has enough power to
pull the wire in two.  Ask me how I know sometime.

Backcheck felt makes excellent stringing felt at times.

Some backcheck blocks are curved to accomodate the arc subscribed by
the backstop.

For future reference use a action cradle and soak the felt until it
just falls off with a touch, wipe off the remaining glue then glue on
the new felt after the blocks are dry.  All in sito.  Less bothersome
that way.

Take care.

		Newton