sagging center string

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:00:43 -0700

Many years ago I began tuning vertical pianos with the tuning lever in the left hand.  I never went back.  It was a tad awkward at first, but almost right away, it seemed to produce more solid tunings (!) and less fatigue.  This seems particularly effective with the Steinway verticals.   I usually shoot for 11:00 to 1:00 hammer position.   I still tune grands standing, with lever-in-right-hand position at around the same "time".  I never said I was normal.  Never had stability problems...at least not that I would admit to anyway.   If there is a reasonable balance of vertical / grand pianos in one's clientele, swapping the tuning lever to the other hand seems to alleviate some of the physical problems associated with always working in one twisted position.  Now, I work in two twisted up positions, and am able to convince myself I am better off for it.  As to the specific question,  " I wonder if there is any real hard evidence as to which position consitantly gives the best results",  I would venture to guess that it would depend on so many variables that an absolute hard answer is all but impossible, not to mention pointless.  ;-)
Regards,
Steve
>>> Newton Hunt <nhunt@jagat.com> 06/14 4:08 PM >>>
> I wonder if there is any real hard evidence as to which position consitantly gives the best results.

Try tuning a Steinway upright at the 10:00 and then at the 2:00
position.  My point will have been made.

		Newton