bass bridge/bridge facing up

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:55:51 -0600

Hi John,
              I use both epoxy and CA for bridge repairs on old uprights.
The best repair is to remove the pins use medium viscosity CA and replace
pins with new ones. fill the hole with CA and it will squeeze in to all the
cracks, wipe clean as it squeezes up the side of the pin.
I have found that this method restores side bearing and looks neater, the
new pin has a nice clean round surface that can clean up a certain amount
of false beats.
The time factor is insignificant, and the pins are cheap, so why not?
With very loose pins, use over size pins as well as the CA.
If you are using epoxy try the thin West system and leave for 24hrs. it's
easier to clean up with acetone.
Regards Roger

>> John R Fortiner wrote:
>>
>> > Speaking of which - this is addressed to all of you "CA holics" out
>> > there.  I have a piano that I am about to restring and have noticed some
>> > nearly hairline cracks in the bass bridge.  Recommendations will be
>> > appreciated as to whether I should pull the bridge pin, apply CA and
>> > replace or just apply CA letting it penetrate by capillary action.
>> > Yes, I do know that there is the "Epoxy Gang" out there as bitter rivals,
>> > but I already know that routine.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > John Fortiner
>> > Billings, MT.
>> > Get the Internet just the way you want it.
>> > Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
>> > Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina