Question regarding Well Temp. Tuning

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:53:29 -0500

> Hi all,
>
> Which composers would have possiblely played on an instrument tuned in
Well
> Temp.?
> Other then Bach, would Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Clara Schumann...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug Mahard

Possibly all, we really don' t know.  Or none since they did not know
of the term "Well".  ; )
The BIG question this question always raises is how come they (the
Composers) did not tell us which temps they played in? The other
question is, what is a Well, what was the theory of it and how did they
attempt to acheive it?
    Since the Composers appear to be ambivilant about temperament, the
relevance of the question, who played or composed in what is so far only of
historiographical importance .  Most if not all of the information of
temperament comes not from the Composers themselves but from the theorists
of temeraments who were not composers. (Or not noted for their
compositions).  Just because the theories of say, Werckmeister,
Kirnberger, Young or Montal were known in their respective times doesn't
mean the Composer's used them.  Without historical evidence to establish the
fact (of use) it is a matter of speculation concerning the composers
and their preference for temperament(s).
    This does not preclude preferences of today's performers or listeners.
The musical effect can be noted, but the historical merit or relavance is
lacking.

    Regarding, "what is a well", it seems that  some of the theories
designated by  this name appear to be those modifications of Meantone which
were attempts to eliminate the wolf or make it easier to tune. (balancing
heavily tempered 5ths with pure 5ths).   It seems the term "irregular"
preceeded the term "well" which is not to be confused with Bach's "Well
Tempered...."  Until we know what He had in mind for His title, it is better
to leave "well enough alone", imho. inspite of its "j'ne sais ring"
  ---ric