Another question regarding Well Temperament

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:24:22 EDT

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my last question regarding well
temperament.  Seeing how the last discussion remained quite civil and very
informative on this subject I would like to tempt fate again with the
following:

In Owen Jorgensen's book Tuning the Historical Temperaments by Ear he states
on page 431 "In direct opposition to equal temperament, the purpose of well
temperament is to allow harmonic color-change through modulation.  Only when
the tones are not equally spaced can there be different effects in the
various tonalities.  This latter quality cannot exist in true equal
temperament in which all tonalities have identical effects except for
increasing or decreasing beat speeds.  In the number of proportional beat
triads, well temperament is superior to equal temperament and also most of
the meantone temperaments.  This gives well temperament a certain rhythmic
harmoniousness."

I was with him up until the last two sentences, then came "proportional beat
triads" and "rhythmic harmoniousness."
Anyone want to try and educate me on proportional beat triads and rhythmic
harmoniousness?

That last ones a mouth full.

Doug Mahard