"C" Value?

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:16:01 EDT

Hi, list:

I might have an opportunity to purchase/barter for an 1890's vintage Steinway
C (7'4").  I may also be relied on to recommend the purchase price.   I would
really appreciate your input on what I should offer.  The instrument was
rebuilt by a wholesale rebuilder 20 years ago.  88 note, SB
shimmed/refinished, restrung, replaced pinblock (rotary cut type), NY
Steinway hammers on complete Teflon action, original back action (original
damper tray with splitting damper levers/no set screw sockets).  Refinished
in ebony with supply house legs, modernized lyre, music desk and birch/fir
plywood lid, now finish is also pretty well chipped up too.  Not a bad sound
in a medium sized room -- even the killer octave -- but damper performance is
horrendous, and although the piano would be usable after some action service
and complete damper tray replacement, it would not come close to its
potential until it gets a new board and the works.

I love the model "C," and this piano will be incredible when I am done with
it.  I am even thinking of actually keeping this one (that would be a first).
 I would probably build a new lid, and restore the period style with legs,
lyre and music desk. If I approach this as a gutted, rebuildable "C" I would
think between $8-10K, but maybe I am way off base, since the market has been
favorable to the longer Steinways lately, and since a much smaller investment
in service than what I intend could probably make the piano quite desirable.
My judgment is clouded by my interested in the piano, so I am very interested
in more objective opinions.  The piano is located within 1 hour from Los
Angeles.

Thanks!

Bill Shull, RPT