MX100A

Ted Rohde rohde@pdnt.com
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 20:55:09 -0500

John Lillico wrote:

I tuned this bird a few days ago and the hammer shanks were much above those
round barrel-shaped, spring-loaded rest rail thingees.

I turned down the capstans so that the shank just rested upon the barrels
giving slightly more than 1-3/4" blow. Was this correct procedure?

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can tell you what the Yamaha field service manual says.  Here's the quote:

    "Adjust capstan so there is no lost motion.  The objective is to have
the hammer supported by the air damper (which replaces the hammer rest rail)
and, to a smaller degree, the jack.  The air dampers should support 60% of
the weight of the hammer and the jack should support approx. 40%.  This is
verified by playing the note and VERY SLOWLY [emphasis theirs] releasing the
key to verify that the jack remains approx. 2mm from the butt felt, and
further, that when the back of the key is tapped slightly, the jack easily
slips under the hammer butt."

    Hope this helps.  We service quite a few of these on a regular basis and
the procedure described works, but I would swear it wouldn't.  Good luck!

Ted Rohde
Central Illinois