METHOD

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 00:28:04 EDT

Brian writes:
<<  Different people have slightly different methods, but it will be
something like adding or subtracting punchings (with the 'spacer' in place)
until at the bottom of the key stroke, the jack is just making contact with
the letoff button.  >>

Greetings,
   I suppose I am one of the "different" people.  I like to set my aftertouch
by using the fall of the hammer from the jack, rather than the first contact
with the let-off button.  The latter is too easily confused with the drop
leather making contact.
    A maximum of .050" is my limit for aftertouch, but that doesn't tell the
whole story.  Consistancy comes from the amount of pressure that you use to
determine this dimension.  A firmer pressure is more consistant, so keep in
mind what you are doing.  Using a .050" spacer and very firm pressure may
produce about the same aftertouch as a .020" with a very light pressure.
   This is done about midway in the regulation procedure.  Obviously, the
balancier, let-off, hammer line and key level have to be finished. After the
aftertouch has been determined, the final backcheck height must be set, which
then allows the most refined approach to setting the repetition springs.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT