Cracked Plate

Piano Services Tech Dept TechDept@pianoservices.com
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:05:34 -0400

Dear List,

I went to tune a customer's  G. Steck grand piano that had been in storage
on it's side for about a year. The place was air conditioned where the piano
was stored and the piano was close to pitch. When I went to tune it I
noticed a vertical crack in the middle of the support strut at the mid- high
treble range of the piano. The crack goes from the top to the middle of the
strut and stops. Is it possible for the plate to crack while the piano is
resting on its side for extended periods?

Thanks,

Ed Mashburn, RPT