Cracked Plate

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 01 Jul 2000 10:44:45 -0600

Hi Ed,
           I would doubt it very much, but very possible with rough
handling.  Since it was on it's side, I would be looking out of the corner
of my eye at the movers.
How ever, it always suprises me just how rough a piano can be handled and
survive. Others on the list may be able to give more details on how prone
this make is re: cracked plates, I have no real experience with them.
There is quite a lot of imformation in the archives on repairing plates if
that will help.
Roger

At 10:05 AM 01/07/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I went to tune a customer's  G. Steck grand piano that had been in storage
>on it's side for about a year. The place was air conditioned where the piano
>was stored and the piano was close to pitch. When I went to tune it I
>noticed a vertical crack in the middle of the support strut at the mid- high
>treble range of the piano. The crack goes from the top to the middle of the
>strut and stops. Is it possible for the plate to crack while the piano is
>resting on its side for extended periods?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Ed Mashburn, RPT

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.