piano cover on new finish

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 17:28:45 -0400

Hmmmm. Is the piano in your home now? Where will you be working on it? I =
just completed my first rebuild (or perhaps better put: serious =
refurbish - restring, refinish, dampers, pinblock, bridge repair etc.). =
I had heard from others (and I actually follow the advice!) that you =
want to drape plenty of sheets (or some other protective material) all =
around the case sides, plate, stretcher, keybed (front edge) and front =
corners. I had several sheets for these purposes. The lid stayed off =
until just yesterday - the piano will be delivered to its owner on =
Monday.

I'm not sure why you are interested in a cover for the piano at this =
point. The lid will presumably be off for the next bunch of months, and =
you will want the case/plate protected while you are working on it. Is =
any of this making sense? Am I understanding you correctly? I would =
think that zipping a cover on and off several times (or more?) a week =
would also risk putting fine scratches in finish. Several times I =
scraped or hit the piano with a tool (not to mention the wires while =
stringing!) and lifted the protective sheet and saw that no mark was =
made (whew!). Let me know whether I'm on the right track. Good Luck. =
What kind of piano is it?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida