piano cover on new finish

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 01 Jul 2000 15:51:31 -0700

Doug:
    As long as the finish is still fresh, I'd recommend some kind of
cover.  Just don't use anything with vinyl.  Vinyl will soften any
lacquer finish.  We sometimes tape the corners with masking tape.  The
blue colored tape has adhesive that won't pull off the finish.
    I've heard of using flashing squares (Home Depot) lined with felt.
Bend them over the edges of the rim on the case so you don't ding it
pulling the plate, stringing, etc.
    I also would not use a furniture pad (ribbed) since you may end up
with packing marks.  I'd try to find a cotton sheet at minimum to keep
out dust, dirt, etc.
    Best,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego