Cracked Plate

Mon, 3 Jul 2000 06:23:28 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Piano Services Tech Dept <TechDept@pianoservices.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 01, 2000 7:05 AM
Subject: Cracked Plate

> Dear List,
>
> I went to tune a customer's  G. Steck grand piano that had been in storage
> on it's side for about a year. The place was air conditioned where the
piano
> was stored and the piano was close to pitch. When I went to tune it I
> noticed a vertical crack in the middle of the support strut at the mid-
high
> treble range of the piano. The crack goes from the top to the middle of
the
> strut and stops. Is it possible for the plate to crack while the piano is
> resting on its side for extended periods?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ed Mashburn, RPT

Storing the piano on its side will not cause the plate to crack.  Dropping
the piano or otherwise mis-handling it might.

You might want to check the piano over for any signs of other damage
although it will not always be present.  I once examined an SD-10 Baldwin
that had been dropped a few feet off of a stage onto a concrete floor.  It
landed on its lid and the top three struts were cracked.  The piano had been
nicely padded for moving and I could find no signs of case or finish damage
resulting from its short -- and unsuccessful -- career as an airplane.  But,
I'd look anyway.

The only other explanations that come to mind are a casting flaw or and
error in installation.  But, from your description, the latter doesn't seem
likely.

How old is the piano?  Is it a real G. Steck?  Those I have seen (at least
that I remember) have had fairly substantial plates.  If it's a fake, what
kind of piano is it?  Has it been rebuilt?  Etc.

Good luck,

Del