Climate

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 00:01:58 -0400

Susan Kline states, "It helps that the climate is benign here, and pianos often sound quite decent even after a couple of years without attention".

What a boring life she must lead with the same temperature and humidity year round!

Here are average monthly indoor temperature and humidity levels I have seen this year (and Susan may remember)

February               21.4°C             34.7% RH
March                   22.0°C             35.0% RH
April                     21.3°C             36.4% RH
May                      22.5°C             50.0% RH
June                     22.8°C             57.8% RH

It is humidity fluctuations like this that are supposed to put us into the lawyer income category. As I don't like lowering pitch, I've never pushed twice yearly tuning because a year from now that third octave will just about have returned to normal making my job easy. But since I began recording this data, I see an acute need for DC's climate control systems in southern Ontario.

I always believed, too, that air conditioning reduced humidity. Not so from the above readings! I must dig into the archives from a couple of months ago where humidity was thoroughly, yet inconclusively, discussed.

At least Susan has some beautiful scenery!

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario, Canada