Convention Report

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:57:44 -0700

Howdy all!

Just got back from the convention late last night.  Once again it was a
great experience by all.  I think I got more out of this years
convention then I have before, (of course I say that every year).  I
attended an excellent all day program by Renner, (called the "Renner All
Stars").  They threw an incredible amount of information at us regarding
action geometry, touch weight, regulation problems, and much more.  I
really feel that I have learned a lot about the geometry issues, much of
which I have brought up on this list before.

There was also a great hands-on class, ($35.00 fee), in which you could
spend time at various "stations" and learn about bridge notching, bridge
layout, chisel sharpening, restringing tips, Steinway rail replacement,
and so on.  I learned a lot about bridge notching, a subject that I have
much wanted to learn more about.  I also got a number of my chisel
questions answered.

There were several great business classes offered.  I attended some
largely on the subject of setting up a rebuilding shop and calculating
the expenses needed to run it, estimating rebuilding costs, etc.  Again
it was some of the most productive classes I have attended.

According to the PTG staff, over 950 attended, (this of course would not
include spouses, auxiliary, etc., so there was quite a crowed).  The
banquet was fantastic as were the concerts.  As always Larry Crabb kept
us entertained with his barbershop fare.

I was very disappointed in Piano 300.  The museum had what I felt to be
a poor representation on the full spectrum of piano history.  Limited
information and exhibits were presented from many important European
icons.  The Japanese industry was very poor, represented only by a
modern U-1 with Disklavier and not even playing at that.  Give me a
break!  Steinway was grossly represented in contrast to other
manufactures.  Nothing from Mason & Hamlin, nothing from Knabe, no
Chickering.  The player piano industry was represented only by an
incredibly average unrestored pumper player.  No mention of the AMPICO
or DuoArt influence.  No Nickelodeons or coin-op pianos of any kind.
Piano Technicians were only hinted, represented only by a case
containing a limited number of older tools and an Accu-Tuner!
Sheeesh!!  In contrast to the above the PTG presented a small collection
at the hotel featuring some great historical American instruments and
more action models than Piano 300 had!

We arrived on the 30th and spend four days doing the tourist thing.  We
hit every major monument and spent three full days at the Smithsonian.
We also went to the National Holocaust Museum which was well worth the
time.  While I was in classes my wife visited the FBI and the Library of
Congress.  The subway system in D.C. is absolutely fantastic and took us
anywhere in town we wanted to go.

Well that's my report in a nutshell.  Happy days.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV